Sometimes I really don't feel like cooking a large meal at night & fancy a big bowl of soup instead. Luckily, my kids are happy with this too & this particular soup is our current favourite.
I first had this when Alfie was at his friend's birthday party last winter, it was so warming & tasty, I knew I'd be cooking it a lot from then on!!
The recipe is a Jamie Oliver one but I've adapted it ever so slightly for our tastes.
Sweet potato & chorizo soup
2 carrots, roughly diced
2 onions, chopped
2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
800g sweet potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped
200g chorizo sausage (spicy or mild depending on your taste)
1 or 2 tbsp Balti paste (according to taste)
2 chicken stock cubes dissolved in 1.8l boiling water
small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
salt & pepper
1. Put a large pot on a medium-high heat & add a splash of olive oil. Add all the chopped veg, parsley & chorizo & stir. Add the Balti paste & mix well.
2. Cook for around 5 - 10 minutes until the carrots start to soften slightly.
3. Pour the hot stock in to the pan & stir well.
4. Bring to the boil & reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
5. Using a liquidiser or hand blender (or whizzy stick as I call it!), blend until smooth.
6. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or finely chopped red chilli if you wish.
This is great served with some chunky wholegrain bread & a glass or two of shiraz. A few months ago I read in a magazine about this Koolibura shiraz from Aldi, of all places. I'd always been a bit dubious about trying their wines but it really is delicious & I've since tried many more & haven't had a dud one yet! Their Toro Loco Tempranillo is another firm favourite of ours & such a bargain at around £3.50 a bottle!
Have a great weekend everyone!