Tuesday 6 August 2013

July Book Club review

I'm a bit late in posting this one due to being away but our Book Club choice for July was The Shipping News by E Annie Proulx.
 
 
 
 
After his cruel wife's death, Quoyle & his 2 young daughters Sunshine & Bunny, up sticks & move from New York to Newfoundland to live in the ancient family home with his aunt.  It tells the tale of living through the bleak winters & settling into his new job reporting for the local paper, the Gammy Bird.
 
Hmmm, it's quite a strange book in that I neither liked nor disliked it....I found it quite meh.  I didn't feel that the story really went anywhere & found myself thinking "is that it?" at the end.  I just didn't 'bond' with any of the characters apart from the aunt & found them all a bit strange!  Also, it took me ages to work out what year the book was set in due to language spoken.  It's set in much more modern times than I initially thought. 
 
 
 
 
The blurb states "The Shipping News is an irresistible comedy of human life & possibility".  I'm afraid the comedy aspect of this book must've passed me by...maybe that's because it just wasn't my cup of tea!!
 
Our read for August is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, this one I am looking forward to!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...